After completing Excel Basic Skills: Reading and Comprehensi on Years 1–2 your child will have improved their reading and compr ehension skills, and will be prepared for more advanced work at primary school level.
In this book your child will find:
- a s tep-by-step learning approach
- a review of basic reading and com prehension skills
- a wide variety of activities
- many di fferent text-types to read and analyse
- a lift-out answer sectio n
Comprehension of text involves bringing meaning to writt en (and spoken) language. It is more than the reading of printed words. The meaning of words, their context in which they exist along with punct uation and writing style all contribute to the comprehension of a specif ic piece of text. By experiencing a range of text types the child is mor e able to find the meaning in a given text.
This book uses a rang e of text types so that the student will feel confident in a variety of situations. Text types are usually broken into two broad types. Within e ach group are numerous varieties - some are listed below:
- l iterary texts which include narratives (novels/stories), poetry and dram a scripts
- factual texts which include explanations, expositions , information reports, recounts and procedures