- Get 90 DAYS FREE of Amazon Music Unlimited with purchase of an eligible product. Listen FREE for 90 days. Learn more here.
Google Chromecast Ultra
- All together Now: shows, movies, live TV, YouTube, and photos; All streaming on your 4K TV; From all your family’s devices
- Everything you love about Chromecast and more; By using your phone, it's easy to play, pause, control the volume, and more from anywhere in your home; Supported Operating systems Android 4.2 and higher, Mac OS X 10.9 and higher, IOS 9.1 and higher, Windows 7 and higher
- Watch what you want, when you want. Enjoy TV shows, movies, videos, songs, games, sports and more through over 1, 000 apps like Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Prime video, and HBO Now
- Make the most of your TV. With support for 4K Ultra HD TVs with HDR, you can get the most out of your setup. Chrome cast Ultra automatically optimizes your content for the best picture quality
- Start streaming with just your voice. Works with Google home, so you can stream and control content using just your voice, 3 inch OK Google, play stranger things from Netflix
Special offers and product promotions
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- Product Dimensions : 5.82 x 1.35 x 5.82 cm; 45.36 Grams
- Date First Available : 11 December 2018
- Manufacturer : Google Inc.
- ASIN : B0157OY5EA
- Item Model Number : GA3A00403A14
- Customer Reviews:
Frequently bought together
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway.
Please enter a question.
Enjoy all your favorite movies, shows, games and music plus the latest 4K content with Chromecast Ultra, a streaming device that plugs into your TV’s HDMI port. Chromecast Ultra not only streams 4K Ultra HD picture quality over your WiFi network, but also provides reliable, fast performance for less buffering.1 Use your iPhone, iPad, Android phones or tablets, Mac or Windows laptops and Chromebooks to stream from over a thousand Chromecast-enabled apps.
Review this product
Top reviews from Australia
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Top reviews from other countries
I generally prefer using hard-wired ethernet whenever possible: simple plug-and-play (no passcode), secured (only use physical connection), and faster, more reliable data transfer. That's why I chose this Ultra model, which comes with a built-in ethernet adapter. And I planned to only cast from my laptop, which has better display quality and more battery power than a mobile device. So I did not think I had to use it on WiFi at all.
The confusing thing neither I nor the Google support person (over internet chat, who gave up after advising me to reset it to factory state a few times) was aware of is about a setup limitation:
First we have to use WiFi to set it up, which allows it to start, connect to the internet, and download new software to update itself. The pre-installed SW cannot use the ethernet connection!
Also, the setup has to be initiated on a mobile device, Google no longer supports setup from a laptop/desktop.
When first powered up, the device shows on your HDMI screen a URL for "using laptop to do setup", but the link takes you to Google Play Store, which only has apps for mobile devices! There is no explanation at this website that you just cannot do it on laptop!
So, you must install the Google Home app in a mobile device (I use an Android version on my phone, and it works fine).
To start setup the Chromecast box using WiFi, do NOT plug in its ethernet cable, just HDMI-TV and power. If you began with ethernet cable connected, it starts up fine, showing no error any where, and the router log shows that it is connected to the network, getting an IP address and all. But, when you try to cast or to add the device to the Google Home mobile app, it is no where to be found, not on WiFi nor hard-wired!
So, power it up withOUT the ethernet connection first. Then start the Google Home app on your mobile device, select 'Add Device' which will begin searching for devices, and will find this ChromeCast Ultra box on WiFi. Follow on-screen instruction (both mobile device's screen and TV's via HDMI info from the Chromecast box) to do setup; giving it a name to show on available device list; allow the box to download new SW; wait for it to restart itself a couple of times (total up to 4-5 minutes) to complete all update installations.
Once it all works OK, and you can cast to it via WiFi; then powered it down. Now, plugged in the ethernet cable BEFORE connecting power back on; this time it will use the more reliable ethernet connection.
Afterward, it will then even automatically switch back and forth b/w ethernet and WiFi when only one connection is available, with ethernet being the preferred way.
Maybe the future Ultra units will come with the right SW installed, and avoid all these confusion, but those that are as old or older than mine (manufactured on 03/2019) probably all have this limitation!
My only complaint is that I bought this days before the Google Stadia was announced. If you want to buy the founders pack for that, it's only like $30 more than just the chromecast and it comes with the new stadia controller and 3 months of the stadia subscription.