Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
|New from||Used from|
Audible Audiobook, Unabridged
|Free with your Audible trial|
From a pioneer in the field of mental health comes a groundbreaking book on the healing power of "mindsight", the potent skill that allows you to make positive changes in your brain - and in your life.
Foreword by Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence
- Is there a memory that torments you, or an irrational fear you can't shake?
- Do you sometimes become unreasonably angry or upset and find it hard to calm down?
- Do you ever wonder why you can't stop behaving the way you do, no matter how hard you try?
- Are you and your child (or parent, partner, or boss) locked in a seemingly inevitable pattern of conflict?
What if you could escape traps like these and live a fuller, richer, happier life? This isn't mere speculation but the result of twenty-five years of careful hands-on clinical work by Daniel J. Siegel, MD. A Harvard-trained physician, Dr. Siegel is one of the revolutionary global innovators in the integration of brain science into the practice of psychotherapy. Using case histories from his practice, he shows how, by following the proper steps, nearly everyone can learn how to focus their attention on the internal world of the mind in a way that will literally change the wiring and architecture of their brain.
Through his synthesis of a broad range of scientific research with applications to everyday life, Dr. Siegel has developed novel approaches that have helped hundreds of patients. And now he has written the first book that will help all of us understand the potential we have to create our own lives. Showing us mindsight in action, Dr. Siegel describes:
- a sixteen-year-old boy with bipolar disorder who uses meditation and other techniques instead of drugs to calm the emotional storms that made him suicidal
- a woman paralyzed by anxiety, who uses mindsight to discover, in an unconscious memory of a childhood accident, the source of her dread
- a physician - the author himself - who pays attention to his intuition, which he experiences as a "vague, uneasy feeling in my belly, a gnawing restlessness in my heart and my gut", and tracks down a patient who could have gone deaf because of an inaccurately written prescription for an ear infection
- a twelve-year-old girl with OCD who learns a meditation that is "like watching myself from outside myself" and, using a form of internal dialogue, is able to stop the compulsive behaviors that have been tormenting her
These and many other extraordinary stories illustrate how mindsight can help us master our emotions, heal our relationships, and reach our fullest potential.
- Get this audiobook free then 1 credit each month, good for any title you like - yours to keep, even if you cancel
- Listen all you want to the Plus Catalogue—a selection of thousands of Audible Originals, audiobooks and podcasts, including exclusive series
- Exclusive member-only deals
- $16.45 a month after 30 days. Cancel anytime
|Listening Length||11 hours and 45 minutes|
|Author||Daniel J. Siegel|
|Narrator||Daniel J. Siegel|
|Whispersync for Voice||Ready|
|Audible.com.au Release Date||28 December 2009|
|Best Sellers Rank|| 708 in Audible Books & Originals (See Top 100 in Audible Books & Originals) |
6 in Popular Applied Psychology
6 in Neuropsychology (Books)
6 in Neuroscience & Neuropsychology
Review this product
Top reviews from Australia
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I encourage you or anyone thinking of giving this book to go right ahead as I certainly found Mindsight to be one information-packed, potentially life changing read. I certainly learnt a lot from it, and I'm sure you will too!
The powerful message is that we can change for the better.
The analysis of the brain and its workings as part of this assists in understanding that this potential to change does not require an external belief system.
Instead our awareness of how we are wired and hence process the experience of our lives is the key to how we can make positive changes.
The case studies are engaging, thought provoking and touching.
A great addition to the exploration of a better life.