Top positive review
A scary world
Reviewed in Australia on 19 October 2021
During lockdown I have read dozens of who dunnits. This was another one - although there was no butler and it was much more complex. As a result of reading it I have learned:
1. We live in a scary world where much is happening that we did not know about.
2. It is difficult to know who to trust. Scientists are shown to be self serving not scientific, journalists are taken in by lies, - where can we get information from.
3. America is a mess. Agencies meant to protect the world are controlled by people whose interest is in survival, not truth. Trade agreements are more important than truth. Hatred of Trump skews everything and Biden,s America is unravelling.
4. Scott Morrison and Australia come out looking better than most because they took a stand.
5. The idea that China is getting stronger and more powerful is frightening.
Thanks to Ms Markson for her hard work on this book. It was hard for a non scientist to read but she did a good job making complex material accessible to people like me.
It doesn’t take the hurt out of lockdown but at least I now know what caused it. And I am concerned about the safety of the world my grandchildren will inherit.