Other Sellers on Amazon
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet or computer – no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera, scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing ‘Send link’, you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message and data rates may apply.
What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fourth-Grade Education Paperback – 23 August 2016
Enhance your purchase
What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know How can you help your child at home? This book answers that important question and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American fourth graders. Featuring full-color illustrations throughout, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children. Hundreds of thousands of students have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This edition, featuring a new Introduction, gives today's generation of fourth graders the advantage they need to make progress in school and establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime. Inside you'll discover - Favorite poems--old and new, from the familiar classic "Paul Revere's Ride" to Langston Hughes's "Dreams"
- Literature--from around the world, including African and Chinese folktales, excerpts from beloved novels, and condensed versions of popular classics such as Gulliver's Travels and "Rip Van Winkle"
- Learning about language--the basics of written English, including grammar, punctuation, parts of speech, synonyms and antonyms, plus an introduction to common English sayings and phrases
- World and American history and geography--explore world and American history, including creation of a constitutional government and early presidents and politics
- Visual arts--a broad spectrum of art from around the world, including African masks, Islamic architecture, Chinese calligraphy, and great American painters--featuring full-color reproductions
- Music--understanding and appreciating music, from the basics of musical notation to the orchestra, plus great composers and sing-along lyrics for such favorites as "Auld Lang Syne" and "Waltzing Matilda"
- Math--challenging lessons ranging from fractions and decimals to understanding graphs, making change, square roots, and the metric system
- Science--discover the wonders of the human body and its systems, learn about electricity, atoms, chemistry, geology, and meteorology, plus concise biographies of some of the great scientists of our time
Frequently bought together
About the Author
- Publisher : Bantam; Revised ed. edition (23 August 2016)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 496 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0553394673
- ISBN-13 : 978-0553394672
- Dimensions : 18.8 x 2.72 x 23.11 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: 550,005 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Review this product
Top reviews from other countries
We have our curriculum from the district and our own ideas on education, but this is a good general reference and guide in case you are wondering what is going on out there.
It has literature excerpts and poems and in spots is really detailed in information. We find it useful to make sure nothing is falling through the cracks and even as a tickler for ideas and concepts you feel could be included in your own lesson as you go along.
So I bought this one during the school year, and I used it for the above, and I'm also having her spend a few minutes a day reading during the summer in the areas she says she wasn't sure she got as much out of at school. I have purchased one of these every year since she was in kindergarten, and I find that they do a good job of explaining things and covering relevant topics. I have asked her how she feels about the writing in them and she says it's written in a way she enjoys and finds it easier to want to keep reading then some of the stuff she gets at school. The other day she actually protested when I asked for my kindle back because she'd put in her time for the day. She wanted to keep reading the geology section.
So I think these are a useful and well written "make sure your bases are covered" book series. And I'm getting her one for fifth grade too. Because I'm still going to be uncool by the time fall rolls around too.