Top positive review
Fantastic find - buy it!!!
Reviewed in Australia on 15 September 2020
Personally, I think purchasing a cookbook is a success if there is at least one recipe that is amazing and you’d make it regularly (I own many cookbooks and this isn’t as easy as it sounds). This book has a number of recipes that my family loves and I make regularly so I highly recommend it.
The book is split into Snack Time (which includes dips and spreads, fruit and vegetables as well as “crunchy things, salty things”), Salads (Leafy Salads, Crunchy Salads and Kind of Salads), Sides (Vegetables and Grains), Mains (Meat, Seafood and Pasts) and After Dinner.
So far I’ve made:
- the Overnight Focaccia, Tonight, which I used as a deep pizza base; 🤤
- the Lemony Turmeric Tea Cake (which I’ve made many times and is DELICIOUS - picture included);
- Mustardy Green Beans with Anchovied Walnuts (if you love Anchovies Alison is definitely your girl);
- Crispy Vinegared Potatoes with Chilli Paprika (my husband’s favourite);
- Slow Roasted Oregano Chicken with Buttered Tomatoes (which is okay but I don’t think you can’t beat Zuni Cafe’s recipe);
- Sticky Chilli Chicken with Hot-and-Sour pineapple (I’ve made this many times but I’d recommend reducing the chilli unless you’re fine with your food making you sniffle 🌶 🌶 - picture included);
-Coconut-Braised Chicken with Chickpeas and Lime (which was okay but I probably wouldn’t make it again);
-Grilled Lamb Shoulder over Garlicky Tomatoes (anything with lots of garlic is 💯 in my book);
- Harissa-Rubbed Pork Shoulder with White Beans and Silverbeet (I didn’t like this one);
- A Very Good Lasagne (which I liked but my husband doesn’t rate as he likes his Lasagne to include a meat sauce );
-Tiny, Salty, Chocolatey Cookies (so rich and delicious)!
There are many more recipes I’m keen to try when I get the time (particularly from the vegetable and seafood sections of the book).
I also highly rate Nothing Fancy for its writing style ( Alison Roman has a way of writing that makes you feel like she’s sharing her thoughts with a friend rather than adopting a serious writing style) and the photos (photos on virtually every page that are bright, modern and glossy) - so it’s an enjoyable read if you’re buying it as more of a coffee table book than a cookbook.
In summary, I highly recommend this book!!