Top positive review
Best purchase ever!
Reviewed in Australia on 21 May 2020
So I don’t usually review but I had to do a detailed review for this one!
My haakaa arrived last week and I’ve been in love since then! I exclusively breastfeed and don’t plan on returning to work anytime soon but wanted to express a few times a day to build a stash of top up feeds for my newborn bub. I have a medela harmony manual pump and it works great but it takes time and effort to pump and isn’t the easiest to clean.
I came across the haakaa and thought I would give it a go. It took a while for me to get the hang of it but after watching YouTube videos, reading various article reviews online and practising first hand, I’m now a big fan! Lots of milk always at hand for top ups without actually having to take out the time and energy to pump manually (and wash countless parts). It’s discreet (silent) and is portable enough to use anywhere and everywhere! And it’s a breeze to clean up! And you just can’t go wrong with the price. This has to be one of my favourite purchases of all time!
1. I’ve noticed haakaa works best with bub nursing on one side. Even better if you can swap sides during the feeding session.
2. Morning and night times of course are ideal for maximum collection.
3. Make sure the haakaa is positioned correctly by inverting the flange first and ensuring nipple is in the middle (it will be painless this way and will result in optimal output too). Also massaging breasts prior to haakaa attachment (and during it) and repositioning it a few times during the feeding will ensure milk doesn’t stop flowing (gets easier with practice).
4. If baby is away or you need to pump a full feed, you can use haakaa on one side and your electric/manual pump on the other side. Again massaging breasts and swapping sides will result in maximum output in lesser time.
5. Haakaa does increase milk supply if you allow it to extract more milk than the initial letdown but if you need to restablish low supply, you should use your regular pump for a few days and then switch to haakaa for day to day.
6. It is ideal for mums who need to store a bit extra for when they are out and about or need to top feed. On its own it’s not ideal for say working mums looking to pump full feeds.
Hope this helps. Best of luck all you amazing mamas xx